Sunday, July 21, 2013

Critical Thinking

This is an excerpt from an unsolicited conversation started by our 10 year old. She's putting together information from three or four different conversations she has overheard over time.

Maura:  You're color blind so you couldn't fly helicopters for the Army.

Roger:  Yeah.  I couldn't fly helicopters because I'm color blind.

Maura:  But if you had passed that test, you would have gone to school with Tuc to be a helicopter pilot?

Roger:  Yes.

Maura: And maybe you would have been there the day he died.  Maybe you could have saved him.

Roger:  Yes, I wish I had been there so I could have saved him.

Maura:  But if you had become a pilot with Tuc you wouldn't have been with Coffield that day.  You couldn't have saved him.  (long pause) Coffield would have died instead.

Roger: (long pause) If I had become a pilot, I wouldn't have gone to Iraq with Coffield.  I wouldn't have been there to help save him.

Maura (softy patting his arm): Either way, you would have lost somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment