Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Secret Life of the American Third Grader

Maura: Would you be mad at me if I was 16 and got (voice drops to a whisper) pregnant?

Mommy (cautiously): No, I wouldn't be mad at you.

Maura: Would you keep my baby or would you give it away?

Mommy (long uncomfortable pause): It wouldn't be my baby. It would be your baby. You would have to decide to keep it or give it up for adoption. I think I would try to help you no matter what you decided. Why are you asking me all these questions?

Maura: I was just wondering...Are you sure you wouldn't be mad?

Mommy: If you were pregnant it wouldn't be very helpful for Mommy to be mad, but I would be very disappointed for you. And I think I would be very disappointed in you, too.

Maura (in a high pitched, defensive voice): But, Mom.....It's not my fault!!

This was a great opening for yet another conversation about babies, where they come from, and why it's not something that happens to you by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment