Thursday, August 11, 2011

Establishing Boundaries

Maura got in trouble yesterday for lying. It really was a stupid lie, but it's not the first lie so we're enforcing the consequences. As a result, Maura has launched a counter offensive which consists of trying to drive us crazy in the hopes that we'll lift the restrictions. Here's a taste of my afternoon:


Maura: Can I just go outside a sit on the porch?

Me: No, your friends are outside and you are grounded.

Maura: I promise I won't talk to my friends.

Me: No.

Maura: I'll hide behind the tree. I promise. They won't even know I'm there.

Me: No.


Later...


Maura: My friends were being mean to me today at school.

Me: What happened?

Maura: They were telling me all the fun things they did while I was grounded. That's bragging. That's not nice.

Me: That's kind of a bummer, Maura.

Maura: But you should let me go play so that I don't feel left out...

Me: Nope. It's just one of the consequences of being grounded.

Most recently, when the phone rang:


Maura: I'll get it.

Me: Nope. You are grounded off the phone.

Maura: What if Julie has a question about homework?

Me: She'll have to call another friend.

Maura: What if Grandma calls and needs to talk to me?

Me: Grandma will have to call back in a week.

Maura (eyes tearing up): You would keep me from my Grandmother?

Me: You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment